Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Something New and a Confrontation"

Needless to say, the past few days have been emotionally draining. Have not heard another word from DIL....but really did not expect to hear from her. Have no idea how this will play out. Keeping boundaries in place.

Now something new has been happening and to say it is frightening, is putting it mildly. Oh this is going to sound as if insanity is now an absolute! We are seeing things! Sitting at the computer last night, ready to post here at the Haunted House, we saw 'someone', standing close and to the left of us. When we gasped and turned to look the person or vision was gone. We shut down the computer and watched a three hour movie, all the while awaiting the vision to return. This happened more than one time yesterday. To be absolutely truthful, it's been happening for awhile. Just too afraid to admit it to ourselves. Not only do we see someone, or something, we feel the presence, as well! What's happening? Is this a sign of some new Mental Illness?

We have a neighbor that we do not know well. She has shared, in the past, that she is a member of AA , 5 years clean and sober. Yesterday, she approached me, while I was doing yard work, to tell me that she was drunk. I asked her if she had called her Sponsor, had she stopped attending her meetings, all the while wondering why me, why has she chosen me, when we barely know one another? Suddenly some kind, loving posts, that I have read here from some of you, shot through my mind....and I remembered that 'things happen for a reason, we may not see that reason immediately' (not a direct quote from anyone) so I decided to listen, try to understand and perhaps in doing so, give her a way to release her pain. She cried, telling me that things have been rough for her lately, that she had recently lost 2 of her friends, her finances were sorely lacking and so on. Suddenly she seem to leap at us, throwing her arms around us, sobbing. Naturally, a RED ALERT sounded off in our head, someone we barely know, touching us, causing a total FREAK OUT!!!! Once we were able to disengage from her grasp, we told her to go to a meeting now! Bottom line, she asked ME, do you think it would be okay if I don't tell them about the drinking? I gently reminded her, that she really needed to call her sponsor and discuss all of this, that I was NOT the right person to ask. She talked for awhile longer, mostly to herself, and I made some excuse to leave, and she went home. ummmm....Now I can't remember why I even brought this up........ I just know that this experience caused many emotions within. Sorrow, additional fear of going out, even in my own yard, sadness for all the suffering people and a sense of the inability to 'help' her. Why is it I feel the need to help 'everyone'? I hate that she reached out to me and all I could do was tell her to call her sponsor and go to a meeting. Is it possible I have put up barriers, instead of boundaries?

Sueann with help from the "others"

"The truth about our childhood is stored up in our body and although we repress it, we can never alter it. Our intellect can be deceived, our feelings manipulated. our perceptions confused and our body tricked with medication. But someday the body will present its bill, for it is as incorruptible as a child who, still whole in spirit, will accept no compromises or excuses, and it will not stop tormenting us until we stop evading the truth".

3 comments:

Meribah said...

Wow. That IS scary! A friend of mine and the daughter of a friend of mine suffer from hallucinations. It's not a nice thing at all, but they have been getting help and are learning to cope with their problems. Mental illness sucks donkey dong but it doesn't have to keep you down. I hope you manage to nip your "phantoms" in the bud before they totally haunt you!
As for your neighbour, she probably didn't mean to place her problems on your shoulders. She needed someone and you were there. I think you handled it pretty well, considering all the things you've been going through. It's hard to help others when you have problems of your own, and it's not fair of others to place their burdens on someone who is already overburdened. Hang in there, hon. You'll get through this. Just take one step at a time. Hugs.

One Prayer Girl said...

Dear sweet Rainbow,
I see this event regarding your neighbor from a completely different point of view.
Maybe I am being too simplistic, but I doubt it. I don't believe God makes any mistakes.

You gave that woman the best possible advice you could have. Telling her to call her sponsor and go to a meeting was, in my opinion, the perfect thing to say.

God knew what He was doing. He always does. We may not understand, but God has His purposes - for you and her.

You are able to be of service. God can use you just as you are.

Be sure to let your doctor know about the shadows or whatever it is you are seeing. Doc will be able to help you, I'm sure.

Love and prayers,
Prayer Girl

Anonymous said...

i've been trying not to be on the computer lately so i'm getting behind in reading people's blogs.

first of all, i'm so sorry you experienced such a frightening experience seeing a figure to your left. again i wonder if this is a memory flashback?

or perhaps a result of sleep deprivation? i know when i was sleep deprived after our child was born i had a few experiences where i saw things move out of the corner of my eye. after i got more sleep that stopped.

also, i know what it feels like to enjoy that time to yourself so much that you stay up too late. i've had that problem myself before. i hope you get more sleep soon!

as for the experience with *both* your neighbor and your DIL. actually, i'm seeing this in terms of the fact that i've been reading and thinking a lot about codependence lately. and from my current perspective, both people are behaving codependently, trying to make you feel responsible for their emotions, decisions, lives, etc.

but you are doing an excellent job of taking care of yourself and putting the responsibility where it belongs, back on them. it's up to your alcoholic neighbor to take care of herself, by calling her sponsor, going to meetings, etc. and it's up to your DIL to create a positive life for herself, not your job to do that for her. she needs to take care of herself. it sounds like she really needs therapy!

you are taking such good care of yourself, setting such good boundaries! i hope you feel better soon in terms of feeling so exhausted and depressed. that you get some nice rest and that those vision experiences get resolved. you deserve to feel better and get some rest~ ((safe hugs!))