Friday, June 5, 2009

"Then The Bottom Falls Out"

Just knew it was too good to be true, that we would find some peace!~

Our Daughter-in-law sent us some Emails tonight. They were angry Emails....all directed at us. What have we done? We have not conformed to what she believes we should be as a Mother-in-law, a Step- Mother and a Gramma. She is angry that we have been ill and unable to leave the house. She is angry because we did not spend every day with her while she was recovering from major surgery. She doesn't want her son to remember us as the Gramma who was always too ill to spend time with him. She loves playing the "Grandson Card", attempting to cause us to feel guilty. She proceeded to tell us what we think and feel. She raged about us never wanting to go anywhere or do things. She is angry because we do not call her. She told us to "get over it" and start living our life. She said many hurtful things, which caused much crying and extreme hurt inside.

We replied to her. We explained that our illness prevented us from even wanting to go out. We explained how horrific the abuse in our lives had been and how very hard we are working toward recovery and understanding that the things that happened were not our fault. We asked that she not judge us, not blame us. We have asked her in the past to read about DID on-line so that she would have a better understanding of what it is like to live with DID. Of course she never did this, and we pointed this out. We also asked her if it were a physical illness, would she be able to accept it as okay. We reminded her that several times we have tried to tell her about our childhood, but that she seemed uninterested, so we stopped trying.

We received a return reply, that was full of rage, again directed at us. She told us we were selfish and self-centered and only cared about ourselves. She said she is very angry with us because we are not the Gramma her son needs. She said we brush off her invitations to her home because we have some kind of phobia...she said that was bullshit! She said we were not the only ones that had lived a childhood of abuse, that she too had suffered. ( we knew this because that is all she ever talks about...how bad her Mother treated her) We know everything about her.....she knows nothing about us, because she has never taken the time to listen, to care.

We sent one back to her and this time our anger surfaced. We told her that all she was concerned about was having her own needs met and the hell with ours. We reminded her that we had changed our date to help Mother with Spring cleaning so that we could be at the hospital for her surgery. We told her we are ill and that we are working very hard in Therapy to repair the damage that has been done to us, so that we may be healthy and live our life and interact with others. We finally became so upset, we asked that she not write us anymore tonight, that we could not handle any additional stress and emotional upheaval.

Then we really did a stupid thing....we called Mother. We were crying and reading the Emails to her, asking why no one can ever accept us for ourselves. What is so wrong with us, that everyone thinks they have to mold us to fit their idea of what we should be, how we should act. Mother said we were reading more into it, that our Daughter-in-law was just upset that we don't visit her and that we should try to go over there and smooth things over. WE saw RED!!@@@ We yelled at Mother, saying you always side with everyone against us...why???? We were angry and sobbing and we finally said we can't talk to you and we hung up. We sobbed for a long time, wishing we could just disappear, die, be done with this horror, called life. After a long while, we called Mother back and said we were sorry we had yelled and hung up on her. Mother said, I was not sticking up for her....we came back with oh yes you were, you have always minimized our feelings. ADD ON- We talked with Mother for over an hour when we called her back. We were able to voice how we felt about our childhood, about her non-validation of us. We told her we always felt afraid and unloved. We told her we felt resentful that she was never there for us...ever! We told her we can no longer listen to her making fun of people and that our belief is to treat others as you would want to be treated. We spoke of how different we are, as women. We spoke of many things that have been left unsaid for too long. She cried, we cried, but we feel we have come to a new level, a safer level in our relationship with her.

To make a long story short.....we hate everyone right now! We don't trust anyone! Every time we get close to someone they turn on us like some feral animal. We can not take this anymore. We want it to be over...our life is just so filled with turmoil and frustration and sadness. We thought we were doing the right thing, setting our own needs as our priority, for once in our life. Then someone we assumed loved us, blames us, shames us and turns their back on us. We don't know, nor do we care at this point, how all of this will play out. We do know that we love our Grandson so much and the thought of not seeing him is unbearable. Death looks very good to us at this moment.

"us"

"The truth about our childhood is stored up in our body and although we repress it, we can never alter it. Our intellect can be deceived, our feelings manipulated. our perceptions confused and our body tricked with medication. But someday the body will present its bill, for it is as incorruptible as a child who, still whole in spirit, will accept no compromises or excuses, and it will not stop tormenting us until we stop evading the truth".

9 comments:

Just Be Real said...

((((Safe Hugs To All))))

All I can say, as I was speechless to the insensativity of your d-i-l how ignorant she is. She chooses NOT to read up on DID, she chooses to not hear you let alone anyone else, she chooses to do what "makes her" feel good, and she chooses to remain in her denial of whatever the crap is going on in her life and refuses to see her own stuff. Meanwhile, has no problem pointing out stuff that "she does not like" to you all and making all of you upset! I am soooooooo very sorry you had to endure that!!!!!!! Ticks me off to read!!!

steveroni said...

Dear, dear "us".

Your "T" will not agree, but I think you need a new phobia--and somewhere in the title should appear the words "daughter-in-law". (Not really!!!)

I am at times, especially when we are communicating, happy for you and with you. Other times sadness rises in me, and now is one of those times.

I am leaving for an AA meeting this morning, but I will be thinking of you, wishing somehow that you had use of a program such as I have, where God is in charge, No Matter What (NMW).

I am praying for you.
Love, and peace, from
Steve

sarah said...

Hi All, just wanted to let you know that I am here. I am sorry about what has happened.
I often get into the kind of arguments of you're this no you're that and it can be hard to get out of. Often I find they are triggers to old pains and for some reason this other person triggers them in me and we kind of bounce off each other, if that makes sense. It's a shame that you have both been so hurt.
The positive note I took from this message is the open chat you had with your mother and her prepardness to begin talking with you.

I hope that today is a better day for you and send all my best wishes and safe hugs,

Sarah.)

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry you're so sad and angry. but i also want to say wow, what a breakthrough being able to express your anger at the mother like that. and i think it's great that you were able to stand up for yourself to your daughter-in-law (who i agree sounds very ignorant, and even worse, i think she sounds abusive and selfish). i'm so sorry she hurt you so much. but i'm really glad you were able to tell her not to write you any more. you put up a boundary to protect yourself. good for you! i am very impressed with your ability to take care of yourself both regarding her and your mother. i can't believe you said all that stuff to the mother. that is so wonderful!

but it sounds like you had so much anger that it spilled over onto yourself though and you started directing it inwards and wanting to die. you don't deserve this. it sounds like you are blaming yourself for trusting people, for loving people, but all of this is ok and good stuff. it's not your fault when people are untrustworthy and hurtful. it's hard to find people worth trusting. we just need to find the right people. safe people who will not turn on us and hurt us, especially regarding our most vulnerable issues.

i hope today goes ok for you and that you don't beat up on yourself. you deserve to feel safe. i wish you peace today.

Mrs. Wedding Crasher said...

Hi there! I have been diagnosed with PTD and Dissociative Disorder and I know what a huge fight it is. Wanted to give you some words of encouragement! Keep up the good fight!

Carol said...

I have step children that can be so cruel that once it hurt my heart that I could never love them again. I found that ok, and decided I would always respect that they are my husbands children but no longer would I let them in my heart. This is over four years and my relationship with them is strong but i know they cannot hurt me like they did. So take heart and don't let them hurt you again, they may hurt you in the future but never like this. Prays for you and your husband.

Meribah said...

Okay, if I weren't on my "happy meds" I'd be seeing red. As it is, I'm STILL fit to be tied! What a horrible, selfish way your daughter-in-law is acting! How dare she say those awful things to you? HOW DARE SHE???
I try not to get in the middle of things. I really, really try. And I believe in treating even those who are hurtful with kindness, like the Good Book tells us to...but, really, if I were there I'd be sorely tempted to give her a piece of my mind!!!
**Calms self down**
Whatever she says, please, realize that none of those awful things she says are true and that she is just being petty. You are a good and decent human being who should be treated with the kindness and love that you deserve. And I'll keep on telling you that as long as you need me to cuz it's true. Hugs to you, my sweet Sue.

Barbra said...

Good thing you set your boundaries!
Safe hugs and blessings,
Barbra

Rainbow said...

Thank you everyone for your support and love. We are so very grateful for all of you. We stayed up all night, unable to stop the crying and the pain, once again inflicted on us by someone we love and thought we could trust. Yes Barbra...good for us, setting boundaries, otherwise, we would be blaming ourselves and thinking we deserve to be treated in such a way. Very sad today.
Love all of you!